South Carolina AHGP Information


Kershaw County



Kershaw, District, S. C. Situated a little n. e. of the centre of the state, and contains 792 sq. ms. Drained by Wateree r. and its branches, and by Lynch and Little Lynch creeks and branches. The river lands are remarkable for their fertility; the uplands are sandy, but fertile when cultivated. Capital, Camden. There were in 1840, neat cattle 11,194, sheep 15,984, swine 2,004: wheat 4,714 bush, produced, Ind. corn 160,300, oats 11,525, potatoes 10,080, cotton 14,475 pounds; 29 stores, cap. $21,600; 1 cotton fac. 120 sp., 4 tanneries, 8 flouring m., 34 grist m., 10 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $123,700. 3 acad. 127 students, 13 sch. 304 scholars. Pop. whites 3,988, slaves 8,043, free col'd 250; total, 12,281.
Read More about South Carolina, and other States, Counties and towns


Camden, p-v., capital of Kershaw dist., S. C., 33 n. e. Columbia, 473 W. It is situated on the e. bank of Wateree river, which is crossed li miles s. w. of the village by a bridge, which cost $20,003. Flat-boats of 70 tons come to the place. Camden contains a court house, jail, an academy, a Masonic hall, a brick market-house, a library, an arsenal, 4 churches, some of which are elegant, 1 Episcopal, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist. It has a bank, about 40 stores, 200 dwellings, and 1,000 inhabitants. One mile e. by s. of the place, are the De Kalb mills, and a cotton fac. with 1,200 sp., 24 looms, and which employs 60 hands. The soil around Camden is fertile, yielding good crops of cotton and corn, but liable to be overflowed. In a good season, peaches and apples are sold at from 12 to 25 cents a bushel, and fine melons equally cheap. Two celebrated battles were fought here during the revolution, one August 16th, 1780, between Gen. Gates and Lord Cornwallis, and another, April 23d, 1781, between Gen. Greene and Lord Rawdon. At the end of De Kalb street, opposite the Presbyterian church, is a fine, white marble monument, erected to the memory of Baron De Kalb, of revolutionary celebrity, the corner-stone of which was laid by the venerable Lafayette, in 1825. Two miles w. of Camden is a large Indian mound, supposed to mark the site of an ancient town of the Catawbas.
Read More about South Carolina, and other States, Counties and towns



Back


This page was last updated [an error occurred while processing this directive].
Copyright © 2014~[an error occurred while processing this directive] by The South Carolina American History and Genealogy Project