South Carolina AHGP Information


Georgetown County



Georgetown, district, S. C. Situated in the e. part of the state, and contains 1,040 sq. miles. Santee r. runs on its s. border. Watered by Great Pedee and Waccamaw rivers, which enter Winy aw bay. The surface is level, and to some extent marshy, but the soil is very productive. Capital, Georgetown. There were in 1810, neat cattle 11,200, sheep 3,500, swine 7,840; Indian corn 101,975 bushels produced, oats 13,180, potatoes 3JO,000, salt 850, rice 36,360,000 pounds, cotton 14,174; 3 commission houses in for trade, cap. $10,300; 34 stores, cap. $174,775; 6 grist m., 2 saw m., 1 printing office, 1 weekly newspaper. Cap. in manufac. $6,200. 4 acad. 165 students, 6 sch. 73 scholars. Pop. whites 2,093, slaves 15,993, free col'd 188; total, 18,274.
Read More about South Carolina, and other States, Counties and towns


Georgetown, p-v., port of entry and capital of Georgetown district, S. C, 152 e. s. e. Columbia, 488 W. Situated on the w. side Winyaw bay, at the entrance of Sampit cr. It contains a court house, jail, bank, an academy, 4 churches, 1 Episcopal, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist, 35 stores, and about 2,500 inhabitants. The harbor admits vessels requiring 11 feet of water, and the trade of an extensive back country is opened to it by the rivers which flow into Winyaw bay. Tonnage 1840, 4,415.
Read More about South Carolina, and other States, Counties and towns


Back


This page was last updated [an error occurred while processing this directive].
Copyright © 2014~[an error occurred while processing this directive] by The South Carolina American History and Genealogy Project