South Carolina AHGP Information


Darlington County



Darlington, Dist., S. C. Situated in the eastern part of the state, and contains 1,050 sq. ms. The surface is slightly undulating; soil, on the margins of the streams, very fertile; back from this, sandy and light. Great Pedee r. bounds it on the n. e., and Lynch' s cr. on the s. w. Capital, Darlington. There were in 1840, neat cattle 15,433, sheep 6,082, swine 36,856; wheat 13,309 bush, produced, Ind. corn 457,193, oats 52,477, potatoes 84,812, rice 8.000 pounds, cotton 1,231,935; 26 stores, cap. $127,000; 1 cotton fac. 700 sp., 4 tanneries, 47 grist m., 27 saw m. Cap. in manufac. $81,100. 7 acad. 149 students, 16 sch. 305 scholars. Pop. 1830, 13,728; 1840, whites 7,169, slaves 7,560, free col'd 93; total, 14,822.
Read More about South Carolina, and other States, Counties and towns


Darlington, C. H. p-v., capital of Darlington dist., S. C., 129 e. s. e. Columbia, 453 W. Situated a little w. of Black cr., a branch of Great. Pedee r. It contains a court house, jail, 3 churches, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, 1 Presbyterian, 2 acad., 9 stores, and 500 inhabitants.
Read More about South Carolina, and other States, Counties and towns


Back


This page was last updated [an error occurred while processing this directive].
Copyright © 2014~[an error occurred while processing this directive] by The South Carolina American History and Genealogy Project