South Carolina AHGP Information


Barnwell County



Barnwell, s. w. district of S. C, contains an area of 1,680 sq. ms. It lies between the Savannah r. on the s. w. and the S. Ediston on the n. e. Soil, moderately good. Cotton is the chief production. It communicates with Savannah by the Savannah r., and with Beaufort, and the adjoining islands, by the Salkahatchie r., and with Charleston by the Charleston and Hamburg railroad, which passes through it. There are several sulphur springs in the district, one of which affords water sufficient to propel an ordinary grist mill. Capital, Barnwell C. H. There were in 1840, neat cattle 28,117, sheep 6,201, swine 47,724; wheat 15,889 bush, produced, rye 4,525, Ind. corn 670,581, oats 16,700, potatoes 45,952, rice 18,000 pounds, cotton 2,804,067, silk cocoons 240; 38 stores, cap. $196,450; 1 cotton fac. 1,308 sp., 7 flouring m., 66 grist m., 75 saw m. Cap. in manufac $183,475. 4 acad. 95 students, 20 sch. 481 scholars. Pop. 1830, 19,236; 1840, whites 10,533, slaves 10,503, free col'd 435; total, 21,471.
Read More about South Carolina, and other States, Counties and towns


Barnwell, p-v., capital of Barnwell dist., S. C, 100 s. by w. Columbia, 604 W. Situated on Turkey creek, near the Great Salkahatchie r. It contains a court house, jail, market house, 3 churches, 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, 1 Roman Catholic. It has 3 academies, 7 stores, and 35 dwellings. Pop. 400.
Read More about South Carolina, and other States, Counties and towns


Back


This page was last updated [an error occurred while processing this directive].
Copyright © 2014~[an error occurred while processing this directive] by The South Carolina American History and Genealogy Project